There is an incredibly interesting article that describes the beginning of deodorant and antiperspirant use and how it turned into a $18 billion industry. The article is called “How Advertisers Convinced Americans They Smelled Bad.” Click here to read.
Points To Note:
- The first deodorants came on the market 100 years ago.
- In the early 1900s, people did not use these products because many people thought “anti-sweat” toiletries were unhealthy and/or unnecessary.
- The first companies that launched these products almost failed because consumers did not know that they had a problem.
- They shifted their marketing strategies that eventually changed the mindset of the public regarding deodorant/antiperspirants which resulted in widespread adoption.
- As a result, the use of these products has become a part of our daily routines.
There is a strong parallel here with what we all are doing with miraDry! We are changing the way people think about the use of antiperspirants and deodorants. When we look into the future, antiperspirants and deodorants will be a thing of the past!